- 4 venison loin steaks or venison haunch steaks
- 150ml red wine
- 2tbsp French wholegrain mustard
- 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- If the steaks are thickly cut, put each steak between two sheets of cling film and flatten with a rolling pin to about ½” thick.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Put the steaks in a dish and pour over the marinade. Cover with cling film, put in the fridge and leave to marinate for about 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain the meat from the marinade, season on each side and place on a hot barbecue. Cook on each side turning regularly to ensure even cooking.
- Baste occasionally with the remaining marinade to keep moist.