- Olive oil
- Wildebeest (alternatively beef, lamb or venison)
- Red Wine
- Water or beef broth
- Bay Leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Potjie pot/ Dutch oven
- Wooden spoon
- Rinse meat and pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in pot and sear meat on all sides to brown for 3-4 minutes remove meat from pot and set aside on plate.
- Deglaze pot with a bit of red wine add onion, celery, garlic, chili, and tomatoes into pot and cook down until tomatoes are soft,
- Add wildebeest back to pot with water (or beef broth), salt, rosemary, and bay leaf and let cook over coals or medium low heat for several hours stirring every once in a while and adding water if it starts looking a bit low,
- The last 40 minutes when meat starts to get tender and fall off the bone add in parsley, potatoes, and carrots cooking long enough for them to get fork tender.
- The last 10 minutes add in peas.
- Season to taste and serve with crusty bread.
Thanks to Laura Marson for the yummy recipe. Check out her Blog: A Dynamic Life