Thanks for this recipe goes to: https://sarahgraham.co.za/recipes/tv/food-safari-s1/warthog-steak-with-caramelised-apples/
Cooks in:10-15 minutes Serves:2
- 2 x 200g portion warthog fillet (can also use pork fillet)
- Extra butter for frying
- bbq sauce, to serve
For the marinade
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp whole black pepper corns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp tomato sauce
- Splash of white wine
For the caramelised baby apples
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tinned baby apples
What to do
1. Place all marinade ingredients into a bowl and add the warthog steaks. Coat well and leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes.
2. To make the caramelized apples, heat the butter, syrup and sugar together in a small frying pan until melted and starting to caramelize.
3. Add the baby apples and toss to coat.
4. Heat a little extra butter in a frying pan and fry the warthog fillets for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.
5. Serve immediately with a little bbq sauce and the caramelized apples.
Photo from ‘Sarah Graham’s Food Safari’ by Ricardo de Leça.